RSO radio's when system goes down...

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
convE36

RSO radio's when system goes down...

Post by convE36 »

I heard early this morning around 1am the dispatcher go 10-33 (minimum traffic) because they will be working/rebooting the radios. She said, "We will be working off the Orions"... As in using a different system for traffic from the sounds of it... Not sure if that is how to spell what she said but thats what it sounded like...

Does anyone know what that means? Orions??? Maybe the conventional TAC channels?

Re: RSO radio's when system goes down...

Post by 318 »

I dont know for-sure, as I have not been in the Riverside County Sheriff dispatch center (yet). I have, however, been in several other Southern Californina dispatch centers and I know that they use mobile radios like the ones you might see in the patrol cars, as back-ups to their computer-controled radio consoles at the dispatch centers. The EDACS system is (mainly) a GE product, and their highest-end radio line is the "Orion".

So chances are, they switched to the temp/back-up mobile radios while the radio shop re-booted/worked on their regular computer-controled dispatch station.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

318 wrote:I dont know for-sure, as I have not been in the Riverside County Sheriff dispatch center (yet). I have, however, been in several other Southern Californina dispatch centers and I know that they use mobile radios like the ones you might see in the patrol cars, as back-ups to their computer-controled radio consoles at the dispatch centers. The EDACS system is (mainly) a GE product, and their highest-end radio line is the "Orion".

So chances are, they switched to the temp/back-up mobile radios while the radio shop re-booted/worked on their regular computer-controled dispatch station.
Well that makes complete sense now. Thanks for your knowledgable input!
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

That is correct. The Orions are control stations (mobile radios, actually) installed on the consoles for air entry into the trunked system when the consoles are down. It's a common (and very good) practice seen in most dispatch centers.

BTW, In SB County, they're referred to as "doomsday" radios.

Post by 318 »

zz0468 wrote:That is correct. The Orions are control stations (mobile radios, actually) installed on the consoles for air entry into the trunked system when the consoles are down. It's a common (and very good) practice seen in most dispatch centers.

And just to clarify, when zz states "air entry" he literally means that when the dispatchers use the Orions, they are accessing the repeater/trunk site in the same way that the patrol units are... over the air. Normally, the dispatch center has a microwave link to the site(s) when using the infrastructural computers to dispatch.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

318 wrote:
zz0468 wrote:That is correct. The Orions are control stations (mobile radios, actually) installed on the consoles for air entry into the trunked system when the consoles are down. It's a common (and very good) practice seen in most dispatch centers.

And just to clarify, when zz states "air entry" he literally means that when the dispatchers use the Orions, they are accessing the repeater/trunk site in the same way that the patrol units are... over the air. Normally, the dispatch center has a microwave link to the site(s) when using the infrastructural computers to dispatch.
Awesome, thanks for that extra comment... I had no I idea what "air entry" meant.

Also, thanks for confirming my original question zz :)