RSO Southwest system change?

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
convE36

RSO Southwest system change?

Post by convE36 »

It seems as if I am missing parts to conversations sometimes...

I havnt changed anything in my scanner. Anyone else having problems lately?
brandon

Re: RSO Southwest system change?

Post by brandon »

Hey Daniel
I got Trunker back online and the LCN order is the same for Southwest. Are you still having the problem with missing traffic?
There does seem to be an issue on the West system where LCN 3 866.7125 locks up with strange "alarm-clock sounding" beeps that cause the scanner to hang onto the channel until it times out. Also last Monday high pitched tones were occasionally mixing in with the dispatcher when they transmitted.
jjrodriguez1740

Post by jjrodriguez1740 »

Is there any news why RSO frequencies 866.7125 still pings and makes alarm noise or is there a way to fix it on my scanner?
brandon

Post by brandon »

Hello. No fix yet unfortunately. I recently posted something in the Uniden forum to see if they have any suggestions about a possible solution for the "bad" beeps. I doubt they will fix earlier scanners but perhaps something can be done for the current models, BCD996T and BC396T.

Other threads at RadioReference relating to the "bad" beeps
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/ca ... ystem.html
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/ca ... ystem.html

So far the only scanner that I've tested which still tracks properly is the PSR-500. I'm sure the PSR-600 and RadioShack clones probably work fine too. Another solution would be to monitor a different site if reception allows, but this doesn't work for everyone.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

brandon wrote:...Another solution would be to monitor a different site if reception allows, but this doesn't work for everyone.
That system is simulcast, so all 4 sites would be transmitting the same thing... bad beeps and all.
brandon

Post by brandon »

Hi zz:

Err... I meant cell (eg: Central). Guess I worded it a bit wrong :ugeek:

Regarding the simulcast... what's real strange is that when testing another BCD996T located in the Ontario area vs my setup, the other radio does not stumble on the beeps (both on the West system and on the same frequencies). As this test was done with a remote scanner, I was able to compare instantly with my own scanner (also a BCD996T) sitting in front of me. In trunking mode the Ontario based scanner would continue tracking while mine just stumbled on whenever hitting Ch 3. I am closest to Box Springs and he is likely closer to Paradise or Blue Mtn, so this leads me to believe the bad beeps are localized on Box. Who knows?

And for what its worth... when I put the Ontario scanner into conventional mode and monitor Ch 3, the beeps do not sound as pronounced as compared to on my end. This may be attributed to lower sound quality from the streaming audio, but thought it was an interesting observation.

Mysteries and troubleshooting ... that's what makes this hobby so fun :D

Take care,

Brandon
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

It's possible that the beeps are coming from a single site, but that would indicate something is configured seriously wrong. The other possibility is that the remote scanner is simply not as susceptible to whatever anomaly that causes YOUR scanner to hear the beeps. Remember, at the end of a transmission, the system sends a disconnect in the low speed data that is send underneath the voice. If the receiver misses the disconnect word, then it doesn't mute. Low speed data levels could be wrong, or maybe only one of the transmitters is beeping.

How does the audio on that channel sound as compared to the others? Have you taken your scanner for a ride to see if it behaves differently while under the influence of different transmitters?
brandon

Post by brandon »

Audio sounds okay on that specific channel. I may take the BCD996T for a drive and do further testing. Thanks for all your help and input.
Brandon
Biocal

Post by Biocal »

I know this is an old post, but I just read it so I thought I would add my two cents. The occassional noise you hear that holds up your scanner is not a problem with the scanner or the frequency line up. This sound also comes through on the RSO radios from time to time, so it would appear that it is a problem with RSO's system and not the individual scanners. I've had my scanner and a RSO issued HT transmit the same annoying sounds at the same time.