San Bernardino County Motorola System

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
rolncode2892

San Bernardino County Motorola System

Post by rolncode2892 »

You can say what you want about Motorola v EDACS systems, but I think Motorola is far superior.

Last night, SBPD had a pursuit that started in the city and traveled as far west as the 605 fwy and Arrow Highway, then throughout the city of Pomona. Ground units could be clearly heard throughout the entire pursuit. Yes, EDACS has some nice features, but for coverage and userablility, the SB Motorola system is outstanding (IMO).
convE36

Re: San Bernardino County Motorola System

Post by convE36 »

Anonymous wrote:One positive thing about the EDACS system is that it works great in SB County, I remember about five and a half years ago Mo Val PD went into pursuit that started around the 216/60 split and ended in Fountain Valley or somewhere out there. MVPD were the primary units all the way into OC before CHP took over. The radios worked great until the units went south bound on the 57 and into the canyon at which point we lost radio contact and a couple of the Deputies involved called into dispatch on their cell phones to continue calling it.
Thats pretty cool, I know I was in Chino Hills and clearly picking up RSO on my scanner. I only monitor EDACS systems (as thats the only thing that is around here) so I dont really know the pro's and con's of the two.
rolncode2892

Post by rolncode2892 »

Funny you mention that pursuit. I was one of the Deps involved. And I was on the phone with dispatch calling it out.... too bad we could not talk to anyone on the radios. I remember starting to get reception again somewhere near the 57 and 91 interchange.
rolncode2892

Post by rolncode2892 »

I worked for SBSO back in the 90's. Every agency, including fire, can all talk together without being patched. Every radio has every agencies channels (to an extent). If an SBSO unit wants to talk to Fontana PD, they simply switch to their channel, no sweat. Very nice to be able to do that.... Maybe someday.......
convE36

Post by convE36 »

rolncode2892 wrote:I worked for SBSO back in the 90's. Every agency, including fire, can all talk together without being patched. Every radio has every agencies channels (to an extent). If an SBSO unit wants to talk to Fontana PD, they simply switch to their channel, no sweat. Very nice to be able to do that.... Maybe someday.......
If we could just have Riverside County like that... :)
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

rolncode2892 wrote:You can say what you want about Motorola v EDACS systems, but I think Motorola is far superior.

Last night, SBPD had a pursuit that started in the city and traveled as far west as the 605 fwy and Arrow Highway, then throughout the city of Pomona. Ground units could be clearly heard throughout the entire pursuit. Yes, EDACS has some nice features, but for coverage and userablility, the SB Motorola system is outstanding (IMO).
The coverage of a system has absolutely NOTHING to do with the brand name of the radios. The San Bernardino County Valley system covers what it does because it consists of 5 sites more or less in a linear line, from the western most corner of SB county, to Redlands. Coverage is dictated by factors such as site location, the geological features in the area to be covered, the antenna patterns used by the engineer who designed the system, transmitter power levels, receiver sensitivity, and how the customer (i.e. the Sheriff) decides to use the system. Radio signals have no clue what brand of radio was used to generate them. Motorola and EDACS RF performance is identical. I know... I've designed and built systems using both.
Anonymous wrote:It also probably helped that the Pomona area is also Motorola....
Nope. It didn't help a thing. Pomona is part of the ICIS system, which is on UHF, not 800, and therefore completely incompatible with SB County's Motorola 800 system. What helped is that SB County's western most site is directly south of Pomona, so normal coverage is provided out there.
Anonymous wrote:I only monitor EDACS systems (as thats the only thing that is around here) so I dont really know the pro's and con's of the two.
I know you guys don't believe me, but in terms of shear performance, there IS no pro's and con's between the two. RF performance is absolutely identical. The pro's and con's become an apples and oranges comparison of features... and personal preferences and, apparently, personal biases. Motorola's advantage is in shear numbers. One county buys it because the surrounding counties buy it and they THINK they''ll all be able to talk. But the truth is, that ability is more a matter of politics than brand name.
rolncode2892 wrote:I worked for SBSO back in the 90's. Every agency, including fire, can all talk together without being patched. Every radio has every agencies channels (to an extent). If an SBSO unit wants to talk to Fontana PD, they simply switch to their channel, no sweat. Very nice to be able to do that.... Maybe someday.......
That's the dream of the operator of every regional radio system. But because of changes in politics, it's doubtful that the situation in SB county could be duplicated today. Not with what the players involved know now. It's also doubtful that the situation will be duplicated in Riverside County. There are more local departments that have been refusing to go on to the new system, then have expressed interest. Things can change, but last I heard, Riverside was staying UHF, Corona just completed a change out of their VHF system and weren't about to change, Palm Springs is too poor to talk about anything, and the rest of the desert cities are talking about a regional system that would be closely affiliated with San Diego and Imperial County's RCS. And Blythe... Why should they switch to 800 when all the other local and federal agencies THEY need to talk to are on VHF. They've said they don't want two radios in their cars. That's why RSO spent $1,000,000 on multiband interoperability systems back in 2005.
Anonymous wrote:San Diego County is the same way, I believe eventually that is the goal of the new Riv Co system. Just need to get it running for RSO and sell the concept to the other agencies, although once it is up and the bugs are worked out I don't see why the other agencies wouldn't want to get in, especially since interoperability is being pushed so hard nationwide in the wake of 9-11 and Katrina.
That IS the goal for the new Riverside county system. But it's going to be a hard sell. Many of the local agencies don't care much for the way RSO does things, and there's a great deal of animosity that's unspoken, until you try to discuss with them sharing radio systems. RSO's system has been an unmitigated disaster since 1992. The reasons why are worthy of a separate thread, but the local agencies remember the history of how it got to where it is, and they're seeing many of the same mistakes being made now. It's going to be a hard sell, indeed...