Woah, anyone else just hear that?

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
convE36

Woah, anyone else just hear that?

Post by convE36 »

So I just heard two deputys talking on an "I-Call", one guy was warning the other guy that all individual calls are being monitored via the internet. Telling him to be careful what he says. He said a website in particular but I didnt catch it cause it kept scanning to Perris-3...he was saying deputys are giving out codes to these "people". Obviously this guy doesnt know what hes talking about, we dont need special codes. All this IS legal right?

If you go to my scanner feed on scancalifornia.net and go to the scanner archive for Riverside County Sheriff you will hear parts of that conversation. Go to the file; 7/29/2008 4:04pm - 4:19pm fast forward to 5:10

So let me know your input on this.
brandon

Re: Woah, anyone else just hear that?

Post by brandon »

The website cuts off but you can hear it end with .com, so it's probably in reference to this site. The radio codes are obtained from public sources (Google, CA Law Site, public documents/forums, etc...). As for the SEB Tac and "Encrypted" (?) channels, they are NOT broadcast online, so I don't know who that is in ref to. Would of loved to have heard that whole exchange in its entirety :) Good catch!
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

convE36 wrote:So let me know your input on this.
Your scanner feed is probably in violation of Section 705 the Communications Act of 1934.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

So should I take my scanner off-line? No big deal to me, I just have it on there for others to enjoy...

Wouldnt that mean that the other california online scanners are illegal too?
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

convE36 wrote:So should I take my scanner off-line? No big deal to me, I just have it on there for others to enjoy...
Oh, I understand WHY you do it. But section 705 clearly states that thou shalt not divulge or *publish* communications that aren't yours. So should you take it off? I'm not gonna say. I'm just telling you that there is a law that says you can't.
convE36 wrote:Wouldnt that mean that the other california online scanners are illegal too?
It's a Federal law, so it would hold true for ANY online scanner, anywhere in the country.

You do what you feel is best. But I wouldn't put a scanner feed on-line. I'll leave that for someone else to tackle.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

zz0468 wrote:
convE36 wrote:So should I take my scanner off-line? No big deal to me, I just have it on there for others to enjoy...
Oh, I understand WHY you do it. But section 705 clearly states that thou shalt not divulge or *publish* communications that aren't yours. So should you take it off? I'm not gonna say. I'm just telling you that there is a law that says you can't.
convE36 wrote:Wouldnt that mean that the other california online scanners are illegal too?
It's a Federal law, so it would hold true for ANY online scanner, anywhere in the country.

You do what you feel is best. But I wouldn't put a scanner feed on-line. I'll leave that for someone else to tackle.
Sounds good to me. Thanks for your greatly appreciated advice.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

I'd suggest you go look up the rules yourself, and read them. Then, YOU can make an informed decision on whether you keep the thing up on-line. Don't let some anonymous sentence fragments on the internet (like me) dictate what you do.

As to the deputies, their communications have NEVER been private, and I've always felt that they were sold a bill of goods when they were told that i-calls couldn't be monitored. They need to understand that the radios can be monitored *LEGALLY*, and that the MDC transcripts are discoverable as evidence if needed. I sympathize with their frustration that sometimes things are heard that ought not to be, but at least if they're aware it's happening, they'll be a bit more careful.
brandon

Post by brandon »

In the late 1990s/early 2000s someone used to stream Palm Springs PD and was pressured to take it down by the city. He complied and nothing else ever became of it. That is the only case I can remember where it was an issue. Seeing as there are thousands of scanner feeds online, I wouldn't worry too much.

On the subject of secure comms does RSO even have encryption capability? Heard them say channel 13 is, but appears to be clear voice and NOT encrypted. User-selectable or false sense of security?
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

brandon wrote:In the late 1990s/early 2000s someone used to stream Palm Springs PD and was pressured to take it down by the city. He complied and nothing else ever became of it. That is the only case I can remember where it was an issue. Seeing as there are thousands of scanner feeds online, I wouldn't worry too much.
One needs only to read some communications law, and see the mechanisms in place for levying some pretty hefty fines before pressure becomes compliance. It's not something to worry about, but it is something to be aware of, especially with the target of your feeds being aware of it. There are, apparently, dispatchers and deputies that are members of this board. Maybe they're ok with it, maybe not. One could argue that it's legal to monitor, therefore it's legal to webcast it. But that's not the way it works. The law clearly prohibits sharing or publishing what you hear. What's not so clear is whether you're allowed to listen. The ECPA of 1986 took care of some of that. Proliferation of webcasts of scanner feeds could well take care of the rest, if people aren't careful.
brandon wrote:On the subject of secure comms does RSO even have encryption capability? Heard them say channel 13 is, but appears to be clear voice and NOT encrypted. User-selectable or false sense of security?
Channel 13 is a cross county talk-group that forces its way into other cells, regardless of whether a user is logged in or not. It's not encrypted, never intended to be, and never advertised as such. It's just a place where units can go to talk from Blythe to Riverside (or where ever) without making an i-call.

Mastr III EDACS equipment is quite capable of encryption. Does RSO do it? How's the weather there? Kinda hot today, wasn't it. *whistling*
convE36

Post by convE36 »

zz0468 wrote:
brandon wrote:In the late 1990s/early 2000s someone used to stream Palm Springs PD and was pressured to take it down by the city. He complied and nothing else ever became of it. That is the only case I can remember where it was an issue. Seeing as there are thousands of scanner feeds online, I wouldn't worry too much.
One needs only to read some communications law, and see the mechanisms in place for levying some pretty hefty fines before pressure becomes compliance. It's not something to worry about, but it is something to be aware of, especially with the target of your feeds being aware of it. There are, apparently, dispatchers and deputies that are members of this board. Maybe they're ok with it, maybe not. One could argue that it's legal to monitor, therefore it's legal to webcast it. But that's not the way it works. The law clearly prohibits sharing or publishing what you hear. What's not so clear is whether you're allowed to listen. The ECPA of 1986 took care of some of that. Proliferation of webcasts of scanner feeds could well take care of the rest, if people aren't careful.
brandon wrote:On the subject of secure comms does RSO even have encryption capability? Heard them say channel 13 is, but appears to be clear voice and NOT encrypted. User-selectable or false sense of security?
Channel 13 is a cross county talk-group that forces its way into other cells, regardless of whether a user is logged in or not. It's not encrypted, never intended to be, and never advertised as such. It's just a place where units can go to talk from Blythe to Riverside (or where ever) without making an i-call.

Mastr III EDACS equipment is quite capable of encryption. Does RSO do it? How's the weather there? Kinda hot today, wasn't it. *whistling*
Who would be responsible? The website hosting my scanner (scanamerica.us), or me?

Also, check out this reply I got from "Cowthief" on the radioreference.com forums...makes very good sence....

"Hello.

10-35 simply ment talk-around in San Antonio in the era of UHF GE PE radios.
And, by what I heard, this was a discussion intended to make people think that they (police) do not know.
This is a very common ploy, throw out a few tiny tidbits that are of no real value, details that are easily traced, perhaps one digit off on a house number, that type of thing.
The usual use for this is to "track" informants, is the guy really on the inside track or just a good scanner buff?
Remember, police officer training deals in no small part on how to use the radio."