Sheriff's conventional TAC channels...

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
convE36

Sheriff's conventional TAC channels...

Post by convE36 »

I heard this morning (around 5:30-6:00) a guy singing and talking on RSO's conventional 866.5125 PL156.7 I-Tac-1 frequency.

Honestly, sounded just like a "motor" cop, they seem to use their radios a lot in the morning on their way to work but on "individual calls" using the TRS...

Would there be any reason they would use the conventional TAC channel?

What is the purpose for these channels?

If I was able to hear that freq, would he/she have to be close by or does it use a repeater/tower?

Thanks again for your guys GREAT knowledge in answering my crazy questions :)

Re: Sheriff's conventional TAC channels...

Post by 318 »

I dont believe the RSO TAC channels your talking about are repeated. They may have the ability to be... (zz?) There are several uses for them, one that comes to mind are could use one of these TACs to work an incident where radio coverage through the EDACS system may not be very good.

The motor officer may have an open-mic or something. There is no reason for anyone to be singing on any govenment frequencies. I have found that the RSO motor officers are pretty chatty...
kb6jag

Post by kb6jag »

convE36 wrote:I heard this morning (around 5:30-6:00) a guy singing and talking on RSO's conventional 866.5125 PL156.7 I-Tac-1 frequency.
That is I-TAC1. A repeated pair (821.5125) with a PL tone of 156.7. Thats available to all public agencies. Its not just an RSO frequency. You're probably hearing the repeater on Santiago Peak, which gets occasional interference. You probably were hearing some sort of signal mixing coming out over the output frequency. Thats not unheard of, especially with repeaters that are clustered close together at commercial comm sites.
djpaulino

Post by djpaulino »

I hear a couple San Diego PD motors quite frequently, they just chat on the way to work. I have heard these guys in the early AM and they live in my neigborhood. In fact, I have been behind them on the freeway on the way down south when they have been on the ITAC freqs. They are normally using direct mode though.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

RSO doesn't have an ITAC-1 on Santiago Peak. It's on Elsinore Peak and Box Springs, voted and transmitter steered.

The ITACS share a common PL, as previously stated, and are supposed to be in a knocked down state where they don't automatically repeat unless commanded on. This is frequently violated, and you'll often hear odd stuff on there because virtually every public service user operating on 800 MHz has access.