Murrieta PD Info

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.

Murrieta PD Info

Post by 211 »

In case anyone else listens to Murrieta PD... I have compiled some info regarding their designators and patrol beats. I'm still trying to obtain a beat map for more specific boundries, but this is the best I could come up with for now:

"Sam" units are supervisors - usually Sergeants, but sometimes a Lieutenant or a Captain

"John" units are School Resource officers

"Tom" units are commercial enforcement - they drive large Ford pickups with a shell on them

"King" units are K-9 officers - Murrieta now has 3 K-9 officers (1 King, 2 King and 3 King). 1 King is a corporal.

"Motor" units are traffic units and are ironically not always on a motorcycle. Sometimes, a motor unit will cover a regular patrol shift as overtime and will be in a vehicle, but still refer to themselves as a "motor" unit. Murrieta has 6 motor units who are typically on a bike (rain or shine) and I believe they may have a 7th now in training.

"Paul" units are community resource officers - they are on shift almost exclusively Monday-Friday, 9am - 5pm. I'm still trying to determine their role in the department, but I'm pretty sure they are sworn officers and may be "high visibility" units.

"Ida" units are detectives and investigators and they drive unmarked cars.

"Ocean" units are city code enforcement.

"Park 1" is a unit who specifically patrols parks within the city, including the sports parks. Much like the school resource officers handle all crimes related to the schools, Park 1 is responsible for follow up on all crimes at parks, including vandalism, and crimes in progress at a park (assault, etc).

"Victor" units are volunteers - they usually spend the day writing parking citations all around the city

"Adam", "Boy", "Charles", "David", "Edward" and "Frank" units are regular patrol officers. The identifiers refer to the beat the unit is assigned to for the day. Murrieta PD has 5 beats (A-E) and any "Frank" units are roving units that cover lunch breaks and provide backup all over the city.

As far as the beats - the best info I have is this: The "Adam" beat consists of the south-west portion of the city and includes the police station. I believe this beat stretches from the area of the police station up along Jefferson Ave. and into the Bear Creek area. It does not extend east of Interstate 15. The "Boy" beat is basically the heart of the city - its the entire area between interstate 15 and interstate 215. The "Charles" beat is the North-east portion of the city - everything east of the 215 and north of Murrieta Hot Springs that falls within the city limits. This includes the newly annexed area of the city near Scott and Antelope Roads. The "Charles" beat is the most akward beat in the city to patrol due to it's long, narrow geography and the distance from the northern-most tip to the southern-most tip.The "David" beat is the one that I am unsure about - I'm pretty sure it is everything west of Interstate 15 and south of the police station (Juniper Street). The "Edward" beat is the south-east portion of the city. It includes everything in the city limits that is east of I 15 or I 215 and south of Murrieta Hot Springs Road. This beat contains most of the expensive, new housing that lies along the Murrieta/Temecula border.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I was not able to find this info anywhere else and it's been collected through a year or so of listening to the department and a few ride-alongs. I am stll trying to identify the city's "David" units and determine their role. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free to chime in.

Re: Murrieta PD Info

Post by 318 »

Great info Joe! (I wouldent expect anythig less from you...)
Radio52

Post by Radio52 »

Thanks for the info.....I don't get MPD here in Riverside, but was able to listen for a bit last week while running some errands in Wildomar and Temecula....
brandon

Post by brandon »

Thanks for the Murrieta info. Keep up the great work :D

Post by 211 »

Some new info:

The "Tom" units are not commercial enforcement - rather, they are traffic units in general, some of which include the commercial enforcement officers. The motor units fall into the traffic division (obviously), but they do not use a "tom" indicator on the air, even if they are in a car instead of on a bike. Additionally, I have confirmed that Murrieta PD now does have a 7th motor unit.

In referene to the Paul units, I've obtained some more info regarding their role in the department. They are identified as "community resource officers" and their job is to perform any duty that would make a sworn patrol officer's job easier. Examples include taking police reports, transporting non-prisoners from one location to another, assistance at crime scenes (with snacks/water, traffic control, etc), and more. They are not sworn peace officers, and they are not volunteers.