Whats the most effective way to listen to RSO Edacs

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
TEMSCANFAN

Whats the most effective way to listen to RSO Edacs

Post by TEMSCANFAN »

Do you need to program all 11 systems to make sure you do not miss any traffic? I was given a copy of Scannerstuff 3rd edition and the Frequencies in the
book do not match up with the frequencies on the scan riverside site. It seems like I miss many transmissions and have found Temecula PD on Corona, Santa
Rosa, Desert, Whitewater. Are these just duplicates and should I receive all of Temecula by just having the west, central, southwest systems programed in?
Sorry for all the questions, still learning!

Cannot receive the south cell of the OC Fire system either only the countywide frequencies. Any thoughts of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide a newbie!

Re: Whats the most effective way to listen to RSO Edacs

Post by 318 »

Temscanfan,

From what I can tell, and what I have been told, each 'sytem' is actually a trunk radio site. On an RSO radio (GE M-PA), you can turn one of the top knobs and it will switch the radio between the different sites. I believe there are duplicates on some different sites to improve coverage as a deputy moves throughout the county. (If he enters an area where the talkgroup hes listening to starts to get weak, he can change radio sites and still be in contact with dispatch on the same talkgroup.) Not all of the sites have all of the same talkgroups.

What I did with my scanners (Uniden BC 780 XLT) was program each site into it's own bank within the scanner. If I want to hear talkgroups on the Southwest site such as TEMecula, PERris, and ELSinore, I would just scan (and trunk) that bank. Works perfect for me.

The ScanRiverside site/talkgroup information is verified by trunk-system tracking software that displays all frequencies and talkgroups in use at any given time... in real time. The information on ScanRiverside is believed to be correct. It is also where I got the information to program my scanners. I also have the Scanner Stuff book and I have been on RadioReferance.com several times.

If your in the Temecula Valley, you probably can't get the OC south cell stuff because you are not line-of-sight enough to the south tower/site. There are a series of hills in the way and the signal just cant get over them. If you are hearing countywide talkgroups, they are proabably being transmitted by all of the OC sites at the same time in order to cover the county as a whole. (San Diego does this) What you are hearing in OC (if its part of their trunk system that the countywide frequencies your hearing are on) is probably a fill-in site on the East end of the county that normally carries little radio traffic. Another possibility is that you simply have your scanner programmed wrong...

~Chad (318)
convE36

Post by convE36 »

The hardest part is trying to find which website has the freqs RIGHT...

Someone please tell me which one is the most trusted!

freqofnature.com
radioreference.com
scanriverside.com
mmortus

Post by mmortus »

ScanRiverside.com is the best by far for Riverside County.
TEMSCANFAN

Post by TEMSCANFAN »

Hi 318,

Thanks for the response. Good to know about RSO radios being able to change sites. So if a site goes down or they decide to go on a specific site they can at anytime. This is why I was wondering about the need
to use all 11 sites. I have heard Temecula PD on Corona, Whitewater, Blyte, (not very often, however they do use them on ocassion.) I just hate to use up so many talkgroups and systems if I dont have to, the fear is that I may be only hearing 75% of the transmissions if I exclude any of the systems. I have the new Gre PSR-500 so I do not use banks just scan objects which I can configure into 22 scanlists. The downside is it only allows for 1800 total scanable objects.

I am currently using the Scan Riverside site for my RSO system frequencies. It is an awesome site. Most likely do not need the book (Scanner Stuff 3rd edition)

Your explanation on the OC South system makes sense, I hear the countywide system and thats it! My son and I thought that it was amazing that we could monitor any of the OC system, since we are located in the valley. We really wanted the SD RCS North, however our elevation is about 150' to low.

Regards
Temscanfan(Tom)
Station51

Post by Station51 »

mmortus wrote:ScanRiverside.com is the best by far for Riverside County.

:D Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Brandon is on his game!!

In the days of rapidly changing information a printed book is useless, and as for "freqofnature" I don't think that they have updated anyhting for years!

Post by 217 »

Station51 wrote:
mmortus wrote:ScanRiverside.com is the best by far for Riverside County.

:D Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Brandon is on his game!!

In the days of rapidly changing information a printed book is useless, and as for "freqofnature" I don't think that they have updated anyhting for years!
That's where I used to get all my frequency info before RR.com. I don't think Tracy has updated his site since the SoCal scanner book came out a couple of years ago.