Pacific Fire Guard

Forum for miscellaneous and non scanning related discussions. You can pretty much talk about anything here, just keep it civil. Off-topic posts may also get moved to this forum.
Biocal

Pacific Fire Guard

Post by Biocal »

Anyone have info on this new, upcoming company? I was at In-N-Out in Temecula today and saw two FF eating lunch. They both had HT's with very long antennas (much longer than standard VHF). What caught my attention, was CAL FIRE toning out a call. I don't imagine these guys are dispatched by CAL Fire, but they may have been scanning. I haven't seen any freqs published for this company. Anyone have ideas?
Kingscup

Re: Pacific Fire Guard

Post by Kingscup »

This is a private company that goes around to houses and sprays a fire retardant type gel on the house to help protect it from a vegetation fire. The homeowner pays for this service. It is not associated with any fire department. They are freelancing outside the incident command system. Whether this business is a good or bad idea, you can't have someone working outside of the ICS system. It will cause more problems then solve.

The guys were probably listening to a scanner or a modified radio that can or cannot transmit on fire frequencies. They are not authorized to transmit on Cal Fire frequencies. Apparently, they have lights and sirens on their vehicles which I don't know how they got that. I think CHP has to authorize that which they may have done that.
Biocal

Post by Biocal »

Yeah I am familiar with who they are and what they do. These were definitely HT's, but likely just scanning.
spotfire

Post by spotfire »

I use to work for this company they do have contracts with BIA Tribal Fire, and I think they still have a USFS contract and I think other contracts. They use BK radios to listen but also to talk among the crew.
Did you see a crew buggy? The crew supt, and squad boss's all have radios.

The engines and crew buggy's must meet nwcg guidelines is why I think they have lights?