APCO25 digital

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
IEscanner

APCO25 digital

Post by IEscanner »

Hi this is my first post here I would like to say a very nice website. I have a question does anyone know when RSO will switch over to APCO25 digital and will it be encrypted? I was about to buy a new scanner my old pro-2051 is starting to act up. I was looking into buying a BC346XT but I don't know if I should wait and save up for a Digital scanner that can pick up APCO25 signal ?
Thanks
Lou
brandon

Re: APCO25 digital

Post by brandon »

Welcome to the site Lou :D

Based on the times outlined in their letter to the FCC probably 2013 or so.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/atta ... applAttach

As for encryption, I am sure it will be in use at least for special ops, SWAT, etc. We can only hope they don't go encrypted system wide, but it would not surprise me if they did. :?

A P25 capable scanner is definitely a worthy upgrade for the SoCal area as many other agencies can be monitored from Riverside including LAPD, Pomona, Camp Pendleton, federal govt, etc. However if your only upgrading to monitor Riverside County Sheriff, then I would suggest waiting until more is known about the new system.

Hope this helps.
IEscanner

Post by IEscanner »

Brandon,
Thanks for the welcome I will have to figure out what I will do my Pro-2051 keeps acting up I will have to do something soon. Is there any Scanner dealers in So Cal besides The Shack?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

It is my understanding that the new RSD system will be all encrypted, like OC, and thus it cannot be monitored anymore once they switch. But, anything can happen, the projected start date is a long way off and little every starts when it's supposed to with them. Brandon is right, if you only want digital for RSD, wait and see what develops. I bought a digital scanner just to listen to March ARB, but it comes in handy when I go into LA to listen to LAPD. I grew up listening to them, first on the AM radio band, then VHF and finally UHF until they switched to digital. Bummer.....
IEscanner

Post by IEscanner »

Maybe I worded it wrong I don't just listen to RSO, I listen to what ever I can pick up. Law enforcement I listen to mainly the City of Hemet where I live. I would like to wait on a new scanner but my Pro-2051 sometimes the display will show weird like all FFF's and will lock up. I just figure If I am going to get a new scanner I was looking at hand held that I could take with me and maybe listen other systems. I would not buy a Digital just to listen to RSO , as for LA I rarely go there. I was talking to a sales rep. at Radio Shack yesterday they will load the frequencies for free with a purchase.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I know Rat Shack offers that service, but based on my interaction with their sales staff, most of them couldn't find their ass with a 12 man search party, let alone program a trunking scanner. JMHO....
otterpop

Post by otterpop »

Hi,

I have two scanners, one is a base/mobile type radio shack pro-160 and the other is a radio shack pro-162. if you look on ebay, you can find them every so often but the are not sold in stores anymore. I bought each one for about 100 bucks, They work real well for listening to RSO EDACS and San Bernardino County motorola systems. I found it better to use other software to program my scanners, wasnt happen with radio shack store programming.
IEscanner

Post by IEscanner »

I bought the Pro- 107 yesterday works great.. :D