"500" units for RSO?

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
convE36

"500" units for RSO?

Post by convE36 »

I have just started hearing "Canyon 500" units on the regular Southwest system. I know they are Canyon Lake for sure because I live there and always hear them around the area. What is the "500"? Anyone know? It changes between a guy and a chick so maybe its some sort of special enforcement looking for seatbelts or something...ha. I hear them sometimes pulling people over where the regular Canyon Lake cops do not (and where they normally do too), but still in the Canyon Lake beat. AND they are on duty day and night so I wouldnt assume its DUI enforcement...

Let me know your input. I'm sure its something simple.
Station51

Re: "500" units for RSO?

Post by Station51 »

The only "500" units that I have heard have been Gang Units.

One day I happened to walk in on a bunch of Gang cars having coffee at "my" coffee spot in Hemet, and then the next day I heard the same guys working a gang shooting in Southwest.

They were wearing mostly swat like jump suits all "greened out", but a couple were in uniform shirts and jeans. They were in a P71 Crown Vic, solid color but with lights on the dash, a ford explorer, and another vehicle that I can't recall.

:o
Station51

Post by Station51 »

Actually......

Gang unit working right now is "5 Gang443", and NOT a 500 unit. Close but no 500 unti
Station51

Post by Station51 »

OK, let's try this.......

Radio Traffic moments ago....

"Ida 500, all volunteer units are clear from the fire and enroute to the station"

Suppose 500 units could be the volunteer units, ie "canyon 500" would be a Canyon Lake Volunteer?
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Station51 wrote:OK, let's try this.......

"Ida 500, all volunteer units are clear from the fire and enroute to the station"

Suppose 500 units could be the volunteer units, ie "canyon 500" would be a Canyon Lake Volunteer?
Station51 wrote:OK, let's try this.......

Possibly...

but they have the ability to to perform traffic stops? I know Canyon Lake PD has a "volunteer car". It looks just like a normal CLPD car but has yellow lights on top and says "volunteer" on the side. Never leaves the CLPD station from what I have seen.

I have heard these "500" Canyon units performing traffic stops at all hours of the day/night and at places that the CLPD normally doesnt waist there time. CLPD seems to focus on Railroad Canyon Rd. that runs along Canyon Lake. That road turns into Goetz Rd. that winds through Quail Valley to the Perris Station. I have heard the "500" units performing traffic stops along Goetz Rd. and also around the North Gate to Canyon Lake which leads to Meadowbrook/Highway 74...which is still in the "Canyon" beat...

Maybe we will get more info to figure this out...(so far I havent heard any tonight)
FyrEMT20

Post by FyrEMT20 »

500 units are high visibility units... meaning these units remain 10-8 most of the time to maintain that "police presence" when the regular beat cars are busy on calls. They'll also help with backup's and high priority incidents.

RSO Citizens on Patrol volunteer units are "700" units.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Figured out they are strictly "TRAFFIC" units. Basically just pulling people over for speeding and what not.

Heard just now the dispatch call for "Canyon 500 are you strictly traffic or can you handle a call?" and he responded "Strictly traffic", as well as "Canyon 501".
FyrEMT20

Post by FyrEMT20 »

convE36 wrote:Figured out they are strictly "TRAFFIC" units. Basically just pulling people over for speeding and what not.

Heard just now the dispatch call for "Canyon 500 are you strictly traffic or can you handle a call?" and he responded "Strictly traffic", as well as "Canyon 501".

Good deal... MoVal uses the 500 designator for high-vis units, reserve units & I believe their "noise call cars." So it just depends on each stations need.
rolncode2892

Post by rolncode2892 »

500 unit designators are for any special detail... high vis patrol, 415 noise car, special overtime details, etc. etc.
RSO.Becerra

Post by RSO.Becerra »

Out in the East End of RSO, We use the 500 Units for Special Operations or for our Special Assignment Units, which can vary for Contract City Special Enforcement Teams or Overtime/Extra Patrol.