Riverside CHP Freq?

Post frequencies and talkgroups for Riverside County. In this area you will find some of the most up-to-date frequency/talkgroup notes and information about newly discovered systems.
beesharp

Riverside CHP Freq?

Post by beesharp »

I noticed for sometime that Riverside CHP TURQUOISE would disappear from time to time. Sounded like some testing was being done and for the last day it is totally gone. Does anyone have information on new Frequencies being used or what is going on? I appreciate all the information and effort on this site.
sp1989

Re: Riverside CHP Freq?

Post by sp1989 »

It's working fine right now, I'm listening to CHP with just the duck on my Pro-97. I'm getting all the usual IE stuff I usually do. Are you sure it's not your radio?
beesharp

Post by beesharp »

You are correct and I really appreciate you looking into this. It is strange that my Uniden BCD396 used to pick it up fine loud and clear (39.680 with 118.8 tone). Last night I tried my I-com R5 with no tone and set to FM. It came in loud and clear and my Uniden had bad interference. You are right it is the Uniden scanner but sounds great with other local agencies. I appreciate it again and if you have any idea why one works and the other does not would be great. Have a great weekend!!
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I had that problem years ago when I lived in LA. LAFD used to be on 33.7 mhz, and it came in all distorted or not at all. Turns out I was really close to their repeater site. I had an AOR wide band scanner which had an attenuator, once I switched it on, it came in fine. It was only the AOR that was overly sensitive, other scanners picked it up fine. Maybe you are close to a CHP site? Just a SWAG.....
beesharp

Post by beesharp »

The attenuator helped bring in the weak signal. It seems that I found a dead spot in my town home in Dos Lagos. When I am upstairs there is no problem listening to the CHP IE and Border region. When I bring the scanner downstairs the CHP Freq are silent. I have a straight shot of the mountains facing south towards Lake Elsinore. Is there any freq I could zero in on to my advantage? I really appreciate your help and information.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

The fire signal was overloading the radio, because the repeater was like a block away. The attenuator reduced the signal so the radio could process it. But it also made other signals too weak when it was on and I couldn't hear them anymore. So I got rid of the radio, never buy anything when it first comes out. I am no expert, but I have found that low band frequencies like CHP uses can be really sensitive to reception. Sometimes moving just a few inches will make a difference between getting a signal and silence. I am assuming you are using just the duck antenna? If so, and you are really interested in CHP, I would get a good outdoor antenna. And, if you really interested in ONLY CHP, get a dedicated low band antenna. CB antennas work well with a scanner for low band reception. And when conditions are right and the skip comes in, you can hear some amazing stuff. I remember getting transmissions from a sheriff to his deputy from someplace in south Louisiana, advising of "dat damn kid, he back again, drivin' crazy up da street" with Cajun music playing in the background in his office.
tk353

Post by tk353 »

SKIP I find the crystal scanners are really good for skip versus the programmable ones
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

tk353 wrote:SKIP I find the crystal scanners are really good for skip versus the programmable ones
Now there's a blast from the past. Does anyone make crystals anymore? I bet a lot of people reading this have no idea what we're talking about. I had a 10 channel Bearcat crystal scanner set up for LAPD's VHF Tac frequencies, with big, giant sci-fi movie red lights (no LEDs back then) that would flash across as it scanned. I worked really well and was quite immune from interference. Wish I still had it, I can't remember what I did with it, but I remember I traded a Bearcat 250 programmable scanner for it.
beesharp

Post by beesharp »

Thanks SP1989 for the info!! Crystals? Man my Dad used to take me down to our local Radio Shack and buy me new crystals and Radio Call Freq book. I would look forward to them on Holidays or Birthday gift for my Bearcat scanner. Do you remember Betty Bearcat scanner Freq book back in the day? How about when Radio Shack people had knowledge about product?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

beesharp wrote:Thanks SP1989 for the info!! Crystals? Man my Dad used to take me down to our local Radio Shack and buy me new crystals and Radio Call Freq book. I would look forward to them on Holidays or Birthday gift for my Bearcat scanner. Do you remember Betty Bearcat scanner Freq book back in the day? How about when Radio Shack people had knowledge about product?
I do remember Betty Bearcat. I also remember when Don "Maxwell Smart" Adams appeared in print ads for Bearcat. However, as long as I have been patronizing Radio Shack, I never recall the salespeople being the sharpest knives in the drawer. And that's going back to the late 60's....