Question about Uniden Bearcat BC246T

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
convE36

Question about Uniden Bearcat BC246T

Post by convE36 »

Will this scanner automatically find PATCHED talk groups when scanning RSO? I am tired of waisting time trying to find which patch talk group a certain area is on at a certain time...(its driving me crazy) I am thinking of returning my Pro-164 and purchasing this...

http://www.scannermaster.com/BC246T_Sca ... 500881.htm

Please give me some advice! (Main thing I am looking for is a scanner that will automatically find those patches!)
brandon

Re: Question about Uniden Bearcat BC246T

Post by brandon »

Hello. Yes the 246T will find them automatically. I just tested with mine and picks up Temecula by keeping the scanner on their main channel. I don't even have the patch IDs programmed into this radio.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

wow that is awesome! where would you say is the BEST place to buy one? scannermaster.com seems to have it the cheapest.

also what software should I use?

Thanks for the great info, I plan on ordering this asap and taking back my pro-164 (only had it for 2 weeks).
brandon

Post by brandon »

For software I recommend a program called FreeSCAN. It will allow programming of many DMA scanners and the software is FREE!
convE36

Post by convE36 »

FREE sounds good to me!

I just ordered it off scannermaster.com so I will see how that goes.

I will try that software and leave feedback here for future customers of scannermaster.com as soon as I recieve the product.

BTW..

ScanRiverside.com forums is going great!

Thanks Brandon.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Besides your input on the "FREEscan" what is your advice on this? Just wondering...

http://www.scannermaster.com/ARC246_BC246T_s/86.htm
brandon

Post by brandon »

ARC246 is good software but personally I find FreeSCAN is much easier to use. You can download a free trial of ARC246 from their website (www.butel.nl) and compare the two. It's mostly comes down to user preference and cost.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Hey Brandon,

What is the "Tape Out" function in FREEscan?
brandon

Post by brandon »

It's for recording audio to a computer or other device, mostly used for the base models that have 2 audio jacks. I believe the 246T just uses the headphone jack so tape out setting might not be needed for that radio.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Brandon,

I keep having problems with my new BC246T. I loaded the file from the resources page into my scanner. But I it keeps picking up the control channel "sound" here and there...not all the time, but just randomly. My other scanner did not do that at all. It only does it on the Southwest system...

Any ideas?????

THANKS!!!