Question about Uniden Bearcat BC246T

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
convE36

Re: Question about Uniden Bearcat BC246T

Post by convE36 »

OK,

I think I am having a problem with the DELAY times...I have the delay time set to 2 seconds on the "EDC" and also "EDW" (in the program FREEscan...(For Southwest)
brandon

Post by brandon »

Hmm that is very strange. Below are 3 audio clips of EDACS noise tell me if it sounds like any of these?

1. EDACS Data #1 - Control Channel
2. EDACS Data #2
3. EDACS Data #3

I know the 996 and 396 had issues with burping but was fixed in the latest firmware patch. I never had this problem with my 246T except for an occasional burp here and there.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

FOR SURE sounds like #3...

It is only right after a transmission between talk groups, or before a new transmission...

And it only happens like once every 5 minutes of listening...

I directly went into my scanners menu (not from FREEscan) and set the delay for southwest system to 2sec and set hold to 0 and still heard the control channel sound. (Remember, its only "here and there", not all the time)

So after that, went back into menu and set the delay and "hold" setting (for Southwest System) to either 0 or off, thinking maybe it is holding onto a channel ??!?!??!

So far, no control channel sound... but no delay for talk-groups... just goes from one, directly to another...

This Uniden so far is much for confusing that my Pro-164 (or 97)...Niether of my radio shack models ever picked up any control channel sounds...i must have a simple setting messed up!!!
brandon

Post by brandon »

That is very weird. From my own experience sound #3 occurs if listening in NON-trunked mode.
I have taken screen shots from FreeSCAN if you want to compare with yours. I suppose it's possible something may have gotten screwed up during the export/import process.

Some areas to check are highlighted in red
ss2.jpg
Check the LCN order and freqs to make sure they match
ss3.jpg
If you want to try the Butel software I can send over a file for that version too.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

I am now noticing the sound mainly on the Temecula talk-groups...

Would it have anything to do with the fact that the Temecula and Cabazon (from what I can hear) are patched together right now?

I do NOT have the patch talk groups programmed into the scanner, but keep hearing "baker" on the Temecula TG...

I think were getting close to the cause here....(and yes, the setting from your last post match up)
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Also...I do NOT need to program the patch talk groups right?

(Since my Uniden will automatically find them from what I hear...)
convE36

Post by convE36 »

ONE MORE THING...

It is actually #2 audio in your post...

I am using the latest version ".6" of FREEscan. Maybe a conflict with the BC246T?

Also, I did not originally download any data before from the scanner when brand new, just uploaded your file...

Maybe another program would work better...send that one you told me about when you get a chance...

[email protected]

Thanks!

Post by 318 »

Is it the 'control channel' your really hearing or is it just a 'buzzing' sound before a transmission every once in a while? I suspect its the buzzing sound... and most of us hear that everyday, even with our scanners programmed correctly. That sound is the crappy GE EDACS system "almost" allowing a deputy to talk (or access the system). For whatever reason, like if the system is busy, the trasmission will not make it trough, but that buzzing sound will. You might notice that you'll hear that sound and then you'll hear a deputy in normal conversation after that. Sometimes you'll hear it a few times in a row, then you'll hear the deputy complain that he wasnt able to get out on his radio. I dont know enough about EDACS systems to say in detail what causes this. (I'm an expert on Motorola trunked radio systems though...)

Some scanners do not pass that buzzing sound audio. I have several higher-end scanners that do pass the audio and theres nothing I can do about it. I'm used to it now.

~Chad (318)
convE36

Post by convE36 »

318 wrote:Is it the 'control channel' your really hearing or is it just a 'buzzing' sound before a transmission every once in a while? I suspect its the buzzing sound... and most of us hear that everyday, even with our scanners programmed correctly. That sound is the crappy GE EDACS system "almost" allowing a deputy to talk (or access the system). For whatever reason, like if the system is busy, the trasmission will not make it trough, but that buzzing sound will. You might notice that you'll hear that sound and then you'll hear a deputy in normal conversation after that. Sometimes you'll hear it a few times in a row, then you'll hear the deputy complain that he wasnt able to get out on his radio. I dont know enough about EDACS systems to say in detail what causes this. (I'm an expert on Motorola trunked radio systems though...)

Some scanners do not pass that buzzing sound audio. I have several higher-end scanners that do pass the audio and theres nothing I can do about it. I'm used to it now.

~Chad (318)
This is FOR SURE the control channel from the sounds of it. It acts like I do not have the freqs right or something...it is programmed the same way as my Pro-164 except I used FREEscan with the BC246T...I never ever heard the control channel AT ALL before. Also seems like I am missing out on normal traffic in my area...

I dont know whats going on! I am about to go crazy!

Maybe it has something to do with FREEscan....

I listen to West system, Central System and Southwest in SEARCH mode and pick up conversations from my area just here and there...

And also the control channel sound here and there too....

Post by 318 »

Well... it would seem that maybe the scanner is not programmed correctly. One other thing to check... the control channel will always be on the same frequency. When you hear the control channel, you should always see the same frequency in the display. Is this the case?

My advice at this point would be to learn to program the scanner by hand or computer and correctly enter the EDACS system information. Basically erase what you have and start over.

~Chad (318)