WIN97 Help Needed

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
retiredFD07

WIN97 Help Needed

Post by retiredFD07 »

I readily admit I'm not computer literate at all. I finally downloaded the 30-day trial version yesterday. If someone can show me how to use this program I can take it from there, but I'm not sure about a lot of things and would really appreciate it if someone could come to my house for 30-60 minutes and get me started. I live in the west end of Riverside and would be happy to buy you lunch. I just need a shove in the right direction.

I'm retired, and am available most everyday.

<>< Mike
sp1989

Re: WIN97 Help Needed

Post by sp1989 »

What are you having trouble with? Maybe I can help guide you. Also, Win97 really shines when you subscribe to RadioReference.com. With a subscription you can download and program your scanner with all the freqs, talk group id's, system info, designators, etc, with a few mouse clicks. It's only $35 a year, and I think there is a 90 day membership for just a few dollars. Well worth it, and you can download and save system info, save it to computer or disk, and change your scanner in a few minutes. For instance, when I go to AZ, I have a Win97 file of all the freqs near Bullhead City and places en route, so when I go there I can reprogram my scanner before the trip. Once I get back, I can change it back to Riverside County stuff the same way. If I had to hand enter all those freq every time, it would be a nightmare.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

SP,

Thanks for the reply. You hit on my major concern - can I create and store different files for different areas? Example - I live in Riverside, but travel to Sacramento, NJ, and Colorado. Can I create and save Win97 files for each area so I can just download each file into my scanner when I'm in that area? The next question would of course be, how do I do that? I started filling in the info on the Win97 file I downloaded from the Starsoft web site, and hit "Save", which saved it to my "My Documents" Folder, but I can't openthe saved file because my computer doesn't recognize the format. Like I said, I'd like to think all of this is possible but I'm not very good at understanding how to do things like this. I'm sending my phone number to your user account - if I can figure out how to do that - and would really appreciate a call when you have time to explain some of this to me. I'm looking forward to getting the most out of this program.

Thanks again, Mike
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Yes, you can make a program for different areas and save on your computer to making loading them in the future quick and easy. You can't open the file directly, as you have found out. You have to open it from Win97, go to the upper left in Win97 and click open. It should show the Win97 files you have saved, which you open and then download to your scanner. That way, if you get the cheapest RadioReference subscription, download everything you want, save it on your computer and you're good to go when it expires. You can always modify the files if something changes, just open the file in Win97, add freq, talk group, etc. and save it. You're almost there, be patient, once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder how you ever manually programmed a scanner.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

SP, I shoot myself in the foot more often than care to admit. After writing to you yesterday, and while I had some spare time this evening, I opened the program to look at it again and discovered what you just told me. This is great, it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to go ahead and purchase the program, and as I work my way through it, if I have other questions (I'm sure I will) I guess I can post them here and get the help I need.

Thanks again,

<>< Mike
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

There is a Pro97 owners group on Yahoo, and there are tons of Win97 files that people put up to share that are quite useful, saves having to program yourself. I downloaded some, like railroad and aviation freqs, which were quite handy. Also, when you purchase the program, MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE KEY TO VALIDATE IT. If your computer takes a dump and you lose everything, you can download the program again on a new computer and validate it again, but save it somwhere besides on your computer, otherwise you'll have to buy it twice. Don't ask me how I know this :mrgreen:
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

Good advice. BTW, I spoke too soon. Now that I think I can handle the Win97 program, I tried to install the driver for the cable. It's the RS model that says it's made for the Pro-97. As usual, the instructions that come with the cable don't match the chioces or directions I get on my computer screen. Long story short, it says it's installed but it won't transfer any data. I'll take any help I can get here, and I'll try to find the Yahoo Groups discussion list for the Pro-97 owners.

Still waiting to use this thing,

<>< Mike
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

If everything works but it just won't transfer to your scanner, I think it's probably the comm port. At the top bar of Win97, on the right go to "Configuration" and you can change the comm port. Mine is comm 3, if I remember right, when you run the disc that comes with the cable it tells you which port it is. Also make sure the boxes "Extra write time" and "Enable readback" are checked, if they are not, nothing happens even if you have the right port. You are using the RS/GRE cable with the little blinky circuit board module in the middle, correct? If it's not, that's what you need. RS will try and sell some other cable that must have been for an ancient scanner that has no circuit board if you're not careful.