RRU-1 with long hissing squelch tails.

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
temfreqhunter

RRU-1 with long hissing squelch tails.

Post by temfreqhunter »

After a user (dispatcher or fireman) transmitts on RRU 1, I get a 3 second continuous hiss after their transmission is complete. Sometimes the hissing squelch tails are longer than others, and I have tried using multiple antennas. I tripple checked my configuration in my scanner and it is all correct. Any ideas as to what could be causing this issue?
brandon

Re: RRU-1 with long hissing squelch tails.

Post by brandon »

Do you have the PL tone enabled and set to NFM mode?
I know some of the newer GRE scanners had this problem. I don't remember how to fix it but I will take a look at my setting to see if I can duplicate.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

Yes, I have both of them. I actually discovered that it was interferance because of metal debris on my roof. So, I relocated the antenna and it went away. Thanks for the info, though!
brandon

Post by brandon »

Cool! Glad to hear ya figured it out.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

Interestingly enough, I have no debris on my roof now, and the problem has returned within the last week or so. Also, If I remove the PL tone from the object on the scanner, the hissing noise is ongoing and won't stop until dispatch or a user transmitts. The problem also seems to be worse on support 5 calls. Maybe someone could identify the issue if they heard it? I have sample files to share if anyone wants to take a listen.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

You might want to check your squelch. Think of it like a gate. When you raise the squelch, you block weak signals and allow stronger ones. When you lower the squelch, it allows all signals but produces noise in return. Ideally, you shout set the squelch to just after hissing stops.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

That was the first thing I tried. After I attempted that, I tried to go into the advanced settings.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I don't know what else to tell ya.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

GRRR! Why must this be so mysterious.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

LOL you might wanna look into some tech support.