Rescue 8 TV show, 1950's

Forum for miscellaneous and non scanning related discussions. You can pretty much talk about anything here, just keep it civil. Off-topic posts may also get moved to this forum.
sp1989

Rescue 8 TV show, 1950's

Post by sp1989 »

Anyone remember or like this show? I watched it with my dad when I was just a pup. For those who never heard of it, it is the story of Rescue Unit 8 from Los Angeles County Fire Dept. I recently found dvds of this show on the internet and I am very happy!!!! I never thought I would see this again, although it doesn't contain the episode I remember most vividly (being present according to Gurdjieff) of a man trapped in an above ground natural gas storage tank with his leg caught in the frame. I remember the voice over of 'little did every housewife who was cooking a roast know she was endangering a life' or something similar. It is interesting to see this, Sea Hunt, Whirlybirds, etc. at this remote time and space, where macho heros pray, go to church, etc. Way different than today....I feel sorry for our kids......
wildmanxosj

Re: Rescue 8 TV show, 1950's

Post by wildmanxosj »

Hello!

Yes I remember seeing the show in the early 60's ('62 -'65). Think the series (reruns) was shown on Channel 5 KTLA for what seemed to me to be maybe a year or so and that it involved a Rescue unit with two paramedics. I believe I saw the show around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. For some reason I only remember part of one episode where a person who was doing maintenance in a bell/clock tower got their arm and/or fingers stuck in the gears of a motor that ran the clock and/or bells on top of a tower (church steeple/tower?). The episode you describe sounds vaguely familliar. It also has a lot of parallels to the episode I remember-ie: person is working on/using something ,gets stuck in life threatening situation, someone calls the Fire Department.

I probably saw the show when I was 4-6 years old across the street at the house of an older kid who was a fire buff. He went on to become a paramedic for the LAFD and is now retired.

Its interesting that I've been trying to figure out the name of the show by Yahooing/Googling what I remembered of this episode for a number of years now and was beginning to think that maybe the show never existed and that I was remembering an episode of Superman with George Reeves. Thanks to you I now know the name of the show and that it actually existed. I'm guessing that you have many partial memories (like myself) of things from long ago that a lot of people have totally forgotten about. I wouldnt be suprised at all if there are fewer than 10 people who remember this show.
-Paul
sp1989

Re: Rescue 8 TV show, 1950's

Post by sp1989 »

Glad to help! I think the episode you describe is on the set I purchased. I also love "Science Fiction Theater", which I also found on DVD. One show I barely remember had something to do with the Air Force, the episode I recall had to do with kids somehow breaking or shooting the canopy of a jet, the jet taking off and once it flew to high altitude, the pilot froze because the canopy was cracked. It showed the pilot covered with frost. I have no idea what show it was. I remember one about submarines called "Silent Service", in the opening sequence it showed a submarine shooting nose first up out of the water.