newbie needs help

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
olympia1979

newbie needs help

Post by olympia1979 »

hello everyone. i am new to the scanner scene and wanted some help in purchasing my first scanner. i would like to listen to Riverside pd, RSO, CHP, and neighboring San bernardino county. what type of scanner would i need? what should i look for? money is a bit tight and i am looking to spend a max of around 150. thanks all in advance.
cvrules90

Re: newbie needs help

Post by cvrules90 »

[quote][/quote]

First of all, no matter what scanner you get you'll be able to monitor Riverside PD, CDF RRU, and CHP.

As for RSO and SBSO, your best bet is a RadioShack PRO 164 (handheld) or PRO 163 (base). The counties both use analog Motorola and EDACS systems. Those will set you back between $150 and $200. So I think a little on the high side.

If you like Uniden, then a good choice would be the BC246T. It has the same capabilities as the RadioShack models. A digital model is way overpriced, but you could expand a little more in that you'd also be able to monitor the LAPD. (Just thought I'd say that in case you change your mind).
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Don't spend extra money for a trunked scanner just to listen to RSO, as they will vanish shortly when they switch to 700mhz encrypted. RPD & chippies you can hear with a $50 non-trunking radio, SB County is trunked, but I don't listen to them often, and re-banding may make their current system difficult to monitor. There is always mil-av band, which is active in the IE, although you need a digital scanner to monitor MAFB bas ops. Welcome to the fold!!!!!
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Yikes! I had a nightmare about RSO switching last night!
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

cvrules90 wrote:Yikes! I had a nightmare about RSO switching last night!
:cry:
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

We should all write them a proposal letter.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

RSO couldn't give a crap what the scanner hobbyist thinks. When they first went with the trunked system in the early 1990's, one of the reasons was they thought that no one could listen in. Little did they know scanners would get more sophisticated. I don't think we'll ever see scanners that can de-crypt stuff, in fact I think that's a federal offense thanks to the ECPA.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

It actually is. I'd love to see simulcasts however. That'd be better than nothing.