How do you prefer to Scan?

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
cvrules90

How do you prefer to Scan?

Post by cvrules90 »

I'm just wondering how people here prefer to listen to their scanner.

When I had my PRO 164, I monitored off and on. Now with the Uniden, I monitor almost 24/7. Sometimes I "lock on" and follow a channel such as fire or ambulance dispatch for a set period of time or follow police dispatch for the length of one shift for example.

So yeah, just wondering...
temfreqhunter

Re: How do you prefer to Scan?

Post by temfreqhunter »

With my PSR500, which I love (hope that doesn't start any wars :D ), I listen to it pretty much constantly as well. Partially, this is becuase I am a feed provider on RadioReference, but also because I am paranoid about missing any calls, which is also why I record every transmission. It used to be I would just have the handheld and carry it around, but now that I have an external antenna, software so I can listen and control my scanner from anywhere (even my phone!), I can't imagine listening any other way (Unless I had a scanner in every room :lol: ). I will only pause my scanner if there is a "1033" qualifying incident.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I like to lock on to events, car/car talk, chases, tactical talk, or structure fires. Fire is pretty boring because as we all know-like 75% or so of the calls are medical emergencies (at least that's the statistics for the Renton Fire and Emergency Services Department). However, structure fires (and even fire alarm activations sometimes :idea: ) are fun to listen to.

Oh and did I mention fire training? :geek:
johncpjr

Post by johncpjr »

I monitor usually when home....not often on the road unless something grabs my attention, but im usually home. A scanner in every room is the only way to go.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Another option is a handheld with a belt clip. I leave my scanner powered on downstairs in the den, and clip it to my waist when I go upstairs. Especially if there is a chase or fire in progress.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

If you're listening to something specific but can't stay near the scanner, a baby monitor comes in handy also.

<>< Mike
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Wow! Never even thought about that. Too bad I don't have a baby monitor.
johncpjr

Post by johncpjr »

I think i prefer another scanner to a baby monitor.....but i dont have a baby. I guess. ?
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Some old-school answering machines had a room monitor feature as far as i know. So you could put the scanner in the same room as the answering machine, call in on your cellphone (or use the handset if it's possible), and activate the room monitor to hear the scanner in that room but for some it was only for a limited time.

And when expandable cordless phone systems were becoming more and more popular, some featured a room monitored so you could monitor another handset which IMO would have been the most effective if you have to leave the scanner to eat or something but since i don't have either one of those, my best bet I think is just to take the scanner with me so I don't miss anything.