Dispatch Rules

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
cvrules90

Dispatch Rules

Post by cvrules90 »

What are the rules regarding dispatching companies to incidents? When listening live, I can tell that an engine (or truck) is dispatched along with an AMR ambulance or Medic unit for medical emergencies.
Kingscup

Re: Dispatch Rules

Post by Kingscup »

Since there are generally more fire stations, engine/truck companies in a given area then there are ambulances, an engine/truck company can arrive on scene first and start paramedic assessment/treatment. I am not completely sure what you are trying to ask.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Kingscup wrote:Since there are generally more fire stations, engine/truck companies in a given area then there are ambulances, an engine/truck company can arrive on scene first and start paramedic assessment/treatment. I am not completely sure what you are trying to ask.
Maybe my wording wasn't all that great. What I was trying to ask is, what is the protocol RVC fire follows when dispatching companies? That is, how many companies are dispatched to particular incidents (structure fires, alarm activations, vehicle accidents, etc...)?
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

I don't know the official dispatch policies of all types of incidents and some incidents can be changed at the discretion of the command center captain based on available information.

A truck company can replace an engine company on any of incidents below but for the sake of simplicity, I will just put engine.

Fire department paramedic ambulance/squad are added to the incident if apart of the standard response plan.

Medical emergency- 1 engine
Medical emergency cardiac arrest- 2 engines
Traffic collision- 1-2 engines
Ringing alarm (no apparent fire)- 2 engines

RVC uses a 4+2 concept on structure fires.
Depending on information obtained (single report etc), 4 engines and a battalion chief are dispatched. If information is obtained that there is likely a fire (multiple reports etc), 2 additional engines are dispatched. A breathing support can be dispatched also.

Second alarm structure fire- 3 engines, 1 truck, 1 battalion chief, 1 division chief
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Kingscup wrote:I don't know the official dispatch policies of all types of incidents and some incidents can be changed at the discretion of the command center captain based on available information.

A truck company can replace an engine company on any of incidents below but for the sake of simplicity, I will just put engine.

Fire department paramedic ambulance/squad are added to the incident if apart of the standard response plan.

Medical emergency- 1 engine
Medical emergency cardiac arrest- 2 engines
Traffic collision- 1-2 engines
Ringing alarm (no apparent fire)- 2 engines

RVC uses a 4+2 concept on structure fires.
Depending on information obtained (single report etc), 4 engines and a battalion chief are dispatched. If information is obtained that there is likely a fire (multiple reports etc), 2 additional engines are dispatched. A breathing support can be dispatched also.

Second alarm structure fire- 3 engines, 1 truck, 1 battalion chief, 1 division chief
This has really helped me a lot. Thanks for the clarification.