Fire Truck specifications and duties

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
4and6

Fire Truck specifications and duties

Post by 4and6 »

I understand a truck crew consist of four people: capt.,engineer,firefighter,tiller man . This unit is great for cut and rescues and large fires or building fires. Can anyone like ex smokey fill me in with any more info.? :geek:
markb

Re: Fire Truck specifications and duties

Post by markb »

Unfortunately, I don't think that Ex Smokey frequents this board. I am not sure what exactly you are asking. You pretty much nailed the very basic premise of a truck company, but your question is very broad and someone could write an entire book based on it :)
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

markb wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think that Ex Smokey frequents this board. I am not sure what exactly you are asking. You pretty much nailed the very basic premise of a truck company, but your question is very broad and someone could write an entire book based on it :)

Ok, Maybe I can read the " book " somewhere... ? Maybe someone can direct me to a location to read up on. thanks for trying.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

4and6,

Mark is correct, there's a lot to discuss here. I'll take a stab at being brief. Depending on the organization, a truck company can be a very specific unit or a general fire-fighting apparatus. Most trucks are four person due to the equipment they use and the physical labor they require (salvage, cut and rescue, over the side rescue, trench rescue, etc). Some trucks are 5-person, very few are 3-person, but with the current cutbacks ....

Not all trucks are tillers. Actually, most aren't. Their aerial ladder is used for high angle rescue and water towers. Some trucks carry 200 to 400 gallon water tanks and a pump, some trucks don't carry water at all and rely on being supplied by an Engine Company or hydrant. In an effort to upgrade service without adding more equipment some cities and counties staff their trucks with paramedics.

Most FD's are more than willing to enhance the public's knowledge of the services they provide. Go visit your local fire station and ask them about their equipment.

<>< Mike
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

retiredFD07 wrote:4and6,

Mark is correct, there's a lot to discuss here. I'll take a stab at being brief. Depending on the organization, a truck company can be a very specific unit or a general fire-fighting apparatus. Most trucks are four person due to the equipment they use and the physical labor they require (salvage, cut and rescue, over the side rescue, trench rescue, etc). Some trucks are 5-person, very few are 3-person, but with the current cutbacks ....

Not all trucks are tillers. Actually, most aren't. Their aerial ladder is used for high angle rescue and water towers. Some trucks carry 200 to 400 gallon water tanks and a pump, some trucks don't carry water at all and rely on being supplied by an Engine Company or hydrant. In an effort to upgrade service without adding more equipment some cities and counties staff their trucks with paramedics.

Most FD's are more than willing to enhance the public's knowledge of the services they provide. Go visit your local fire station and ask them about their equipment.

<>< Mike

Thanks mike, I need to get my tookass over to station 33 and gets some info. Plus I want pictures of the swift water rescue unit.
:mrgreen:
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Trucks are basically what they suggest. They carry equipment used for fire supression. This could include axes (for cutting up holes to let the smoke go), fans (to vent out the smoke and heat), and an areial ladder and many ground ladders. They also carry jaws of life (used to cut up cars to pull people out involved in an accident), and some other equipment. In escence, they are basically equipment transporters to a fire if that makes any sense.