RSO VHF

Post frequencies and talkgroups for Riverside County. In this area you will find some of the most up-to-date frequency/talkgroup notes and information about newly discovered systems.
cvrules90

RSO VHF

Post by cvrules90 »

In the past, I have seen 158.895 with PL of 110.9 listed. It only says Explorers- San Jacinto Station, but don't know if it's in use.

They also has some Sheriff's Interface frequencies which I once found out they are not in use. Has anyone ever logged any traffic on this one, and are there plans to re-use some of these frequencies?
PTR-Jason

Re: RSO VHF

Post by PTR-Jason »

If it is for the San Jac explorers. Chances are you will not hear any traffic except at events like Cristmas Parades, 4th of July Parade, Ramona Pagent, etc, and then again, only if you are close to it. It will not be through a repeater.

Each explorer post has their own radios, if they even have any. Perris used old Sabers. When I was with Temecula we got ours from Home Depot, they were Motorola Spirit radios. This was 1998-20002, before the FRS radios became popular, and cheap. I am willing to bet some Explorer posts use FRS radios. We did not always have enough to go around. I ended up buying my own.

At large events, one or two "rank" explorers got a EDACS radio so we can talk to the command post and relay info another explorer had, like needing a deputy for something. We did a lot of crowd control and traffic control, but also patrolled events, and were extra eyes.

And yes being 14 or 15, you always thought you were though **** if you got a radio.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I have heard county park rangers on the old vhf system, not for a couple of years though.
2wayfreq

Post by 2wayfreq »

From what I heard, It's back up and in service on North Mountain. It will be used as an occasional area tactical or special use for RSO.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

2wayfreq wrote:From what I heard, It's back up and in service on North Mountain. It will be used as an occasional area tactical or special use for RSO.
So that would be special events.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

158.895 is the old San Jacinto PD frequency that RSO absorbed when SJPD disbanded. The radio is on North Mountain, and I've never heard any specific uses for other than to own it. What other VHF frequencies were listed? We could probably figure out what's what.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:158.895 is the old San Jacinto PD frequency that RSO absorbed when SJPD disbanded. The radio is on North Mountain, and I've never heard any specific uses for other than to own it. What other VHF frequencies were listed? We could probably figure out what's what.
I've also seen all the Sheriff's interface channels but a previous forum post I made got me a reply saying they are not in use.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:I've also seen all the Sheriff's interface channels but a previous forum post I made got me a reply saying they are not in use.
That may not be entirely true. All of RSO's VHF channels are there for mutual aid and interoperability situations. There is county wide coverage on CLEMARS (154.920) to communicate with the CHP. There are several other wide area coverage systems for the various local PD's, and even a UHF CLEMARS to talk to Riverside PD. There is also an ITAC conventional system county wide. A considerable effort was expended a few years ago installing that capability. None of these systems are going to be used on a daily basis, but if something happens, it might prove to be interesting listening if you have them programmed into your scanner. With none of the city PD's in the county opting to go with PSEC, these systems may be there for a while. The hardware exists. What may be missing is any sort of operational plan. RSO doesn't play nice with others, so operational planning was always the stumbling block.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:
cvrules90 wrote:I've also seen all the Sheriff's interface channels but a previous forum post I made got me a reply saying they are not in use.
That may not be entirely true. All of RSO's VHF channels are there for mutual aid and interoperability situations. There is county wide coverage on CLEMARS (154.920) to communicate with the CHP. There are several other wide area coverage systems for the various local PD's, and even a UHF CLEMARS to talk to Riverside PD. There is also an ITAC conventional system county wide. A considerable effort was expended a few years ago installing that capability. None of these systems are going to be used on a daily basis, but if something happens, it might prove to be interesting listening if you have them programmed into your scanner. With none of the city PD's in the county opting to go with PSEC, these systems may be there for a while. The hardware exists. What may be missing is any sort of operational plan. RSO doesn't play nice with others, so operational planning was always the stumbling block.
Thanks for the explanation, but I thought RSO uses talkgroups on the EDACS radio to communicate with other police forces, but this makes more sense as their radios are not neccesssarily compatible because every other police force uses VHF or UHF frequency pairs.
PTR-Jason

Post by PTR-Jason »

They do not even have to use talk groups. The do testing once in awhile where they have a random unit standby and patch another city with them.

I have heard Hemet PD be patched with a RSO Perris unit, and also Riverside PD be patched with RSO. RSO MoVal had also been patched with RCC PD.

The talk groups are there. but I do not think they are used at all, but they are there. Also just like a major incident, I doubt they will even be used. There will really be no need at all. A Command Post from one agency or another will be bright in, everyone will use their radios on their channels and then talk to the CP, tom there it will be relayed. A Rep needs fire, the info is then passed to the person sitting next to another person, which will be fire, and they will send someone there.

Granted the talk groups have been around long before command posts were a common sight, now everyone and their brother has one, some two or three.

I would also think that CalFire Prevention Officers, which are sworn peace officers, would be at a major incident, and they have an EDACS radio, so they can talk to RSO direct and request stuff if needed. They already use the radios daily and run plates and do traffic stops.

BUT with the new system, if it ever comes on board, I do not know how easy patching would be.

I am pretty sure RSO no longer owns any VHF and UHF radios for field use. Yes in command post they are there, but they are for whatever agency needs them to communicate with their department, not for RSO to use really. In RSO dispatch they are able to dispatch Riverside PD if needed, with the flip of a switch, they will take all the 911 calls. RSO West will also take all the calls for RSO Desert if needed and vise versa in the event a comm center goes down.

But back to topic, yes talk groups are there, but unless of something like a city being blown off the map literally, they will never be used. It is all down with patches now, when the officer does not even have to do anything at all, just key up and talk and they can talk to someone on 800 EDACS when they are on VHF. It is all done between the two dispatch centers.

Just like SBSO has patched talkgroups 24/7. Like their 40-King channels. No matter where at in the county, they use what ever 40-king channel for the area they are in, if they are needed, their dispatch, or what ever department needs them, calls them on the channel for their area, and it 40-King can hear them and respond to that area.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2