RSO Speakers

Forum for miscellaneous and non scanning related discussions. You can pretty much talk about anything here, just keep it civil. Off-topic posts may also get moved to this forum.
cvrules90

RSO Speakers

Post by cvrules90 »

I have noticed, at least with the EDACS radio, that patrol deputies wear their radio speakers backwards (i.e. with the cord running along the back). My question is, is this a required department policy, or is it just that the deputies find that way most comfortable?
sp1989

Re: RSO Speakers

Post by sp1989 »

I think most do it to keep the cord from getting tangled on stuff on their duty belt, at least that's why I did. I really don't like those things to begin with though, they seem to fail when you need them most.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I've seen pics of deputies with the cord against their back so I was wondering if every deputy from every station does it. I also got to see one close up and I think it said Otto Communications or something like that on it.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

It's not mandatory...it's like how different crap on the duty belt is arranged, there is no set location where the different pouches and cases go, just whatever works for you best. Many field deputies buy their own personal lapel mics since the ones that originally came with the EDACS HTs are broken, stolen or just plain POS. Otto is a company that makes aftermarket lapel mics for communications equipment. Like I mentioned in a different post, jail deps are already trying to abscond with lapel mics for the APX radios for when they go to the streets. Not sure what the big deal is, I hate lapel mics. But, I remember when I first started as a young patrolman, there were no HTs, just the unit radio, and a state of the art duty weapon was a S&W 686 with Bianchi speedloaders and a 6 loop. 24 whole rounds total on yer belt and in yer gun. Just a little more than one mags worth these days. Dang, I'm old....
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:It's not mandatory...it's like how different crap on the duty belt is arranged, there is no set location where the different pouches and cases go, just whatever works for you best. Many field deputies buy their own personal lapel mics since the ones that originally came with the EDACS HTs are broken, stolen or just plain POS. Otto is a company that makes aftermarket lapel mics for communications equipment. Like I mentioned in a different post, jail deps are already trying to abscond with lapel mics for the APX radios for when they go to the streets. Not sure what the big deal is, I hate lapel mics. But, I remember when I first started as a young patrolman, there were no HTs, just the unit radio, and a state of the art duty weapon was a S&W 686 with Bianchi speedloaders and a 6 loop. 24 whole rounds total on yer belt and in yer gun. Just a little more than one mags worth these days. Dang, I'm old....
Back then, how did you talk when you left the car?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

You had to go back the the car.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:You had to go back the the car.
That was probably really tiring. Well, technology brought about some new ideas that seem to help us after all.
N6AJB

Post by N6AJB »

This is also likely due to the fact if you have the cord on the front it is likely to get grabbed during an altercation with a suspect as well.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

N6AJB wrote:This is also likely due to the fact if you have the cord on the front it is likely to get grabbed during an altercation with a suspect as well.
But he can also snatch from behind which would be most likely. Also, isn't it strange how EDACS speakers always list another brand unlike how Motorola speakers clearly say Motorola? I know it might be a purchase but shouldn't they say Harris?