EDACS Radio

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
cvrules90

EDACS Radio

Post by cvrules90 »

Given that we're headed into October, I thought I'd perform a status check.

Which station(s) has/have switched to the PSEC (if any)? Also, what's the status with other county services? They were supposed to change to the PSEC in early October I think.
sp1989

Re: EDACS Radio

Post by sp1989 »

When I left last fall, there were PSEC handhelds in use on a trial basis in corrections and probably patrol, but they were linked to the EDACS system, in other words what ever you heard or transmitted was the same as the current system and not separate. There was a millisecond delay between the audio in EDACS and PSEC radios, which was quite an unusual effect, kind of like phase shifting. It is possible some obscure county department may be using PSEC, I know with EDACS the first to use the new system were janitors at the old academy in Rubidoux.
Last edited by sp1989 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:When I left last fall, there were PSEC handhelds in use on a trial basis in corrections and probably patrol, but they were linked to the EDACS system, in other words what ever you heard or transmitted was the same as the current system and not separate. There was a millisecond delay between the audio in EDACS and PSEC radios, which was quiet an unusual effect, kind of like phase shifting. It is possible some obscure county department may be using PSEC, I know with EDACS the first to use the new system were janitors at the old academy in Rubidoux.
OK so one can essentially still listen to all the TGIDs of the EDACS system. That's good to know.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Not all TGs, at leas not corrections, those PSEC HTs were only programmed for the non-trunked jail freq of 866.600 mhz, and I think maybe XCNTY, but that was it, not like the EDACS HTs in use there, which had the full range of TGs. Patrol may be different if they are even in use. I can't imagine a front line patrol deputy using a PSEC HT and answering calls for service, maybe an SSO or something non-critical.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I thought it was back in April when the east moved to PSEC. According to 4and6 he thought Palm Desert was dead. I'm just wondering because all resources still show the EDACS system still in use so will see how things go.
brandon

Post by brandon »

I will fire up the psr-800 and rtl dongle tomorrow and see what's going on the system. Been months since I last monitored it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

cvrules90 wrote:I thought it was back in April when the east moved to PSEC. According to 4and6 he thought Palm Desert was dead. I'm just wondering because all resources still show the EDACS system still in use so will see how things go.
It is true that East and West county are like two separate departments in many ways, but if East was on PSEC, the county would be bragging about that in the media, saying "look, it almost works." I also thought someone determined 4and 6 was listening to the wrong EDACS site, but I could be wrong. I'm not in east county. For those who wonder, anything east of the dinosaurs in Cabazon is east county...different court paperwork and everything....don't ask me why, I was just a useful idiot. "Because that's the way it's always been!" is the usual RSO answer to anything. When I started working there a quarter of a century ago, a sergeant told me "RSO is a very progressive department, boldly stepping into the 1950's." They are still the same, but now boldly stepping into the early 2000's. Like little kids at a swimming pool, RSO is "no, you go first."
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

brandon wrote:I will fire up the psr-800 and rtl dongle tomorrow and see what's going on the system. Been months since I last monitored it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Really would be nice if someone were to give us a progress report, but from the way things are going, I think we're waiting in vain for the time being. Still, you never know how quickly the system will be ready. The ERICA system alone had been on line since April 2010 I think, and then couple of months later, Palm Springs Police are already switching to it. So we should all keep our eyes (and ears :mrgreen: ) open.
marcotor

Post by marcotor »

When I was in Palm Desert Monday there was still plenty of traffic, also Thermal (sounded like some kind of narco op) and Cabazon.
Didn't have a lot of time to poke around, heading back for a service call next week and i'll try to block out a little time :)
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

marcotor wrote:When I was in Palm Desert Monday there was still plenty of traffic, also Thermal (sounded like some kind of narco op) and Cabazon.
Didn't have a lot of time to poke around, heading back for a service call next week and i'll try to block out a little time :)
Yay! That's my hood.