motorcycle crashes on Ortega Highway

Heard something interesting on the scanner? This is the place to share it with the community. Visitors are also welcome to post links to news articles about incidents that occurred in the county.
paulmcg1

motorcycle crashes on Ortega Highway

Post by paulmcg1 »

There were two motorcycle crashes within half an hour of each other today on Highway 74 (Ortega Highway). It must be the holiday weekend.

As far as monitoring these kinds of events, the sequence typically is what happened today.
(1) Dispatch on CDF RRU-1 West Dispatch, 151.385 MHz, CTCSS tone 110.9 Hz.
(2) Dispatch on US Forest Service Cleveland National Forest channel "Forest Net", 168.75 MHz, CTCSS tone 103.5 Hz.
(3) Assignment to a working channel. Both of today's incidents were assigned to CDF RRU-2, 151.175 MHz, CTCSS tone 110.9 Hz, which is available to both CDF and USFS units.

I happen to live in the Cleveland National Forest at 2500' elevation, down a dirt ride from Ortega Highway, so I pay attention to "local" events. As I'm writing this, USFS is reporting another incident near Tenaja Falls on "Forest Net" where their fire department is waiting for a law enforcement officer to show up before proceeding to the incident.
sp1989

Re: motorcycle crashes on Ortega Highway

Post by sp1989 »

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
paulmcg1

Post by paulmcg1 »

Another crash just occurred, radio procedure was a bit different. A US Forest Service fire truck coming up Ortega Highway came across a motorcycle accident near the Lookout restaurant. They reported the incident on USFS Cleveland National Forest channel "Admin Net" on 168.15 MHz, CTCSS 103.5 Hz. Then, CDF dispatched on RRU-1 West Dispatch channel.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

paulmcg1 wrote:There were two motorcycle crashes within half an hour of each other today on Highway 74 (Ortega Highway). It must be the holiday weekend.

As far as monitoring these kinds of events, the sequence typically is what happened today.
(1) Dispatch on CDF RRU-1 West Dispatch, 151.385 MHz, CTCSS tone 110.9 Hz.
(2) Dispatch on US Forest Service Cleveland National Forest channel "Forest Net", 168.75 MHz, CTCSS tone 103.5 Hz.
(3) Assignment to a working channel. Both of today's incidents were assigned to CDF RRU-2, 151.175 MHz, CTCSS tone 110.9 Hz, which is available to both CDF and USFS units.

I happen to live in the Cleveland National Forest at 2500' elevation, down a dirt ride from Ortega Highway, so I pay attention to "local" events. As I'm writing this, USFS is reporting another incident near Tenaja Falls on "Forest Net" where their fire department is waiting for a law enforcement officer to show up before proceeding to the incident.
I thought that Hwy 74 was mostly in east county.
brandon

Post by brandon »

It goes all the way to San Juan Capistrano in Orange Co. aka Ortega Highway.
It's a great drive.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

brandon wrote:It goes all the way to San Juan Capistrano in Orange Co. aka Ortega Highway.
It's a great drive.
Obviously longer than I thought. I remember passsing it many moons ago to our house, and to SD for my medical appointments.