Antenna Question...

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
convE36

Re: Antenna Question...

Post by convE36 »

zz0468 wrote:You WERE getting more signal when the antenna was lower. You added about 4.3 DB more loss by extending the cable, probably more loss than you gained by raising the antenna. Advice? Use better cable. RG58 is no good for VHF and above for lengths longer than a few feet. Use RG8 at the barest minimum, LMR400 is good. 50' of LMR400 has less loss than 20 feet of RG8 at 800 MHz.

Running coax next to other cables is fine. That's what it's for.

Radio Shack is gonna hate me, I am always returning stuff there...lol

Where can I find this cable your talking about? Im sure it's about 5 times the price of the RG-58 right?

And just making sure, there arent any amps or anything else I can do besides replacing the RG-58 for LMR400/RG8?
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Also, no one told me there would be this much trial & error when I got started in this hobby!

Not one person I know is into this hobby or anything to do with it. (Most of my friends make fun of me, haha )So I have to get all my info from here :)

Post by 318 »

Wow, I guess I 'got told'...
convE36

Post by convE36 »

318 wrote:Wow, I guess I 'got told'...
I have realized in the past 8 months I have been in this hobby that you almost need to try things for yourself before automatically listening to other peoples suggestions.

I am NOT saying that I dont listen and appreciate everyones input on these forums.

It just seems that some things work so much differently for other people.

As in one antenna may work amazing for this person but that same antenna may be horrible for another person. I have seen so much different info on antennas, but when it comes down to it, you need to try out different antennas for yourself.

I have heard the RS 800MHz antenna works amazing, as well as many other antennas... I have been through about 5 different antennas and finally found that the Radio Shack outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF works the best for me. When it comes to handheld antennas, the stock Uniden rubber duck antenna (for my Uniden BC246T) was FAR better than any Radio Shack antenna I tried. When I had my Radio Shack Pro-97, their stock rubber duck was HORRIBLE.

Just depends on what your are trying to monitor when it comes down to it I guess.

I decided I will just have to take this 50-foot RG-58 cable back to RS and buy back that 20-foot cable I took back today.

Post by 318 »

Do a Google search for LMR400 and/or RG-8 and you'll find several sources. You may just have to wait while they ship the stuff to you though. There may even be som new stuff on Ebay. (I wouldnt buy anything used...) It is (obviously) a little more expensive. There are companies that will "make" a cable to your specs (length and connectors) out there... look for them on the web. That's probably your best bet if you have the $$$. On a side note (and I'm not 'dissing' you), I personally wouldnt use anything from RS... especially their cables. If you want instant satisfaction, try going to Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) in San Diego. They sell ready-made, quality cables there for a reasonable price. One other note, LMR400 and RG-8 are thicker cables then RG-58. Also you cant really bend LMR400 like you can to others.

I don't mind being told when I'm wrong. I enjoy learning. I guess zz has been a tech for over 30-years; he should know his antennas and feed lines. What I posted before (IMHO) is still generally correct. I have also been around in the public-safety radio world for a while. I have found that (especially with low frequencies) grounding the antenna helps. I'm telling you right now that two PL259 connectors and a barrel connector to extend a cable will give you more loss then just using the CORRECT length of cable needed with no 'splice'. Period. FYI, BNC and N connectors have less-loss then the common PL259 connector. One last comment... I have seen LMR400 used in several microwave situations; usually as jumpers.

~318
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

318 wrote:I guess zz has been a tech for over 30-years
I managed to work my way a bit further up the food chain than that, but yeah... I've been around the block a few times.
318 wrote:What I posted before (IMHO) is still generally correct. I have also been around in the public-safety radio world for a while. I have found that (especially with low frequencies) grounding the antenna helps.
Note that I specifically mentioned short wave antennas as a good ground being helpful. I was specifically pointing out, however, that it will do nothing but provide a safety ground with the OP's radio shack antenna. By "been around", do you mean as a tech, engineer, or user? Just curious...
318 wrote:I'm telling you right now that two PL259 connectors and a barrel connector to extend a cable will give you more loss then just using the CORRECT length of cable needed with no 'splice'.

Absolutely. But what I was pointing out that trading 10 feet of extra RG58 to avoid a barrel splice is pointless. The cable has more loss than the splice does. The proper length of cable is, of course, the better way to go. And more to the point. DON'T use RG58!
318 wrote:One last comment... I have seen LMR400 used in several microwave situations; usually as jumpers.~318

Yes, as jumpers, it's fine. Even RG58 is *ok* as a jumper if it's not too long, like a foot at 2 GHz. But for a main feedline to an antenna, LMR400 is a bit too lossy unless the path budget has signal to spare. I see it used on Part 15 links all the time. Me? I'd use Heliax.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

I bought a 10-foot cable of RG-8, that would be good for this antenna right? Seems to be working OK so far...

Post by 318 »

Wow, is 10-feet all you needed? Why were you asking about stringing two 20-foot cables together?

~318

Post by 318 »

The entire run should be RG-8.

~318
convE36

Post by convE36 »

318 wrote:Wow, is 10-feet all you needed? Why were you asking about stringing two 20-foot cables together?

~318
Wanted to get as high up on my roof as possible. With ten feet all I get is outside my window, but am hoping with the RG-8 I will have the same results when I used the 20 feet of RG-58 (high on the roof, but loss in signal).

Would you go with 10-feet RG-8 and lower on the roof or 20-feet RG-58 and higher on the roof?